The village of Mechanicsburg was formed from land that was originally owned by either Thomas Stafford or Nehemiah Henderson in 1830. When the land was first donated there was not a house on the property. James Hoge built the first house shortly after the land was donated. As more and more people moved to Mechanicsburg it became a thriving town and the center of activity in Bland County. There were several business in the area which included a powder mill, two blacksmith shops, a cabinet shop, shoe shops, and several general stores. Other business moved into later and these business included a printing shop, a saddle shop, a tailoring shop, and several carpenter shops. Even though years have passed and some businesses have shut down, Mechanicsburg is still an active and well-loved community.