Ceres is located in the western portion of Bland County. Ceres is surrounded by Brushy Mountain to the north and Big Walker Mountain to the south. Ceres was originally called Bear Garden, the Cherokee's spent the summer hunting here and they would carry the game back South with them for the winter. The Indians resented the white man's taking over their hunting grounds. History indicates that a Major Lewis passed through this valley on his way to Burkes Garden in 1756. He commanded a group of soldiers that marched against the indians. In the late 1700's after peace was declared with the Indians, white settlers began to move into the area, some traveling up Walkers Creek from the New River settlements. Some of the names of the settlers that first settled here were Sluss, Harmon, Groseclose, Foglesong, Crabtree, Cassell, Hudson, Lambert, Bruce, Umbarger, Repass, Tilson, and Spanglers. Ceres is probably the oldest settlement in Bland County. Records show that in 1753 a man by the name of James Burke as he passed through this community after he had discovered Burkes Garden around the year 1749. As early as 1848 settlers bragged about a turnpike which extended from Wythe County through Sharon Springs into Tazewell County. This turnpike was used by various stage lines. This community was given the name Ceres in the year 1879, when Captain H.C. Groseclose established a post office. Captain Groseclose named the community after the Goddess of Agriculture, since this community was primarily agricultural. There were many businesses in Ceres, among them were a blacksmith shop, tanning yard, sawmills, flour mill and a wood working shop. There were also Lutheran, Presbyterian, and Methodist Churches, Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodge Halls, doctor's offices, a restaurant, and even plank sidewalks (that have been torn away). Sources: History of Bland County (Virginia). Bland County Centennial Corporation, 1961. Print. Ceres Mountaineer Yearbook